Skip to main content

F1: Sebastian Vettel on pole for Korean Grand Prix

October 5, 2013 -- Updated 1642 GMT (0042 HKT)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Championship leader Sebastian Vettel has most pole positions in 2013
  • German will head grid for Sunday's Korean Grand Prix from Lewis Hamilton
  • Vettel's teammate Mark Webber qualifies third but will start from 13th place
  • Lotus' Romain Grosjean heads the second row along with Mercedes' Nico Rosberg

(CNN) -- Sebastian Vettel is so dominant in Formula One right now that his rivals must be hoping for help from the heavens, but even the weather seems unlikely to stop the Red Bull driver from a fourth successive win at Sunday's Korean Grand Prix.

A typhoon had been forecast to hit this week in Yeongam, but conditions have died down -- although there is still a possibility of rain during the race.

Vettel, however, was unconcerned after clinching his sixth pole position of 2013 with another commanding performance in Saturday's qualifying at the Korean International Circuit.

The German headed off Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton, who was fastest in Friday's second practice, while Red Bull teammate Mark Webber was third fastest -- though the Australian will start 13th on the grid after his third reprimand of the season at Singapore.

Interactive: F1 gears up for more Gangnam Style

Niki Lauda on F1's most dangerous years
Paul di Resta's Italian ancestry
Watch adrenaline-filled tour of Spa track

"It's not a disaster if it starts to rain," Vettel told reporters after setting pole for the third successive race, at a venue where he has won the past two years. "Same as usual we have rain tires in the garage but obviously they're talking about heavy wind.

"I arrived on Wednesday and it was very, very windy. Since then the wind seems to have died down and I think the typhoon has changed direction. I think tomorrow should be fine in terms of conditions -- whether it is dry or wet.

"If we get some of the rain from the typhoon isn't 100% clear at the moment but, as I said, it doesn't matter. Most important is that we did the job."

Hamilton also had five pole positions going into qualifying, but was just over two-tenths of a second slower than Vettel -- who leads the championship by 60 points as he seeks a fourth successive world title.

Read: Vettel - We work the hardest

"We did as good a job as we could," said 2008 world champion Hamilton. "I felt like I got the most out of the car and perhaps there's always a little bit of room to improve but in general it's been a good weekend so far, so I really hope that tomorrow we're able to fight with them."

Webber is paying the price for receiving a lift from Ferrari's Fernando Alonso following his car's late failure in Singapore, an act of friendship that left both drivers in trouble with the race stewards.

"We had to take a bit of pace out of the car for qualifying. Not much but just looking at how we would compromise qualifying a little bit more for the race," said the 37-year-old, who has six races left before quitting F1 to drive for Porsche in the World Endurance Championship.

"I think the race will be interesting. Obviously well and truly out of position but we will fight and come back through."

Read: Will rule changes stop Vettel?

Lotus' Romain Grosjean will head the second row after qualifying fourth, followed by Mercedes' Nico Rosberg and Alonso -- who criticized tire supplier Pirelli after being more than 0.8 seconds slower than Vettel.

"It's a tire that cannot do five kilometers. If you push them, you finish them -- which is not normal," said the two-time world champion, who won the inaugural Korean race in 2010.

"I'm sure all the cars, if they pushed 100% from the start of a lap, they would not do five kilometers. So it is not very helpful and not very nice to drive like this, at 95% of the lap.

"We are getting used to them being unable to last one lap, getting used to these marbles (rubber debris on the track) so you have two meters of racing line. Three or four years ago no-one would have thought this was possible."

Alonso's teammate Felipe Massa will start sixth ahead of Sauber's Nico Hulkenberg and Esteban Gutierrez.

Kimi Raikkonen, who will replace Massa at Ferrari next year, will be ninth ahead of the McLaren duo of Sergio Perez and Jenson Button.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT