Skip to main content

Costa Concordia trial judges agree to examination of wrecked ship

By Barbie Nadeau, for CNN
September 25, 2013 -- Updated 1319 GMT (2119 HKT)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Judges agree to a request for a new examination of the Costa Concordia
  • The decision could mean a delay of months in the legal process
  • Capt. Francesco Schettino asked for permission to tour the ship's bridge and engine room
  • Schettino's lawyers want to show that he was not solely responsible for the disaster

Rome (CNN) -- Judges in the trial of the captain of the wrecked cruise liner Costa Concordia agreed Wednesday to his request for a new examination of the ship, Costa Cruises spokesman Davide Barbano told CNN from inside the court.

Lawyers for Capt. Francesco Schettino had asked the panel of three judges on Monday for permission to tour the ship's bridge and engine room as part of a defense strategy he says will prove Schettino was not the only person responsible for the disaster.

The move could delay the legal process for months.

INTERACTIVE: How ill-fated cruise liner was raised

Schettino's defense is trying to prove that the ship's watertight doors did not function properly, and that is the reason the ship sank, leading to the loss of 32 lives during the evacuation.

The wreckage of the Costa Concordia cruise ship sits near the harbor of Giglio, Italy, on Tuesday, September 17, after a salvage crew rolled the ship off its side. The Costa Concordia ran aground off Giglio in January 2012, killing 32 of the 4,200 people on board. The wreckage of the Costa Concordia cruise ship sits near the harbor of Giglio, Italy, on Tuesday, September 17, after a salvage crew rolled the ship off its side. The Costa Concordia ran aground off Giglio in January 2012, killing 32 of the 4,200 people on board.
The Costa Concordia disaster
HIDE CAPTION
<<
<
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
>
>>
Photos: The Costa Concordia disaster Photos: The Costa Concordia disaster
Costa Concordia families still wait
How much is this ship worth as scrap?

A special team of divers will have to examine parts of the ship which are still under water, including the engine room and watertight doors.

READ: Concordia righted

The liner, which crashed on the rocks off Giglio Island in January 2012, was rotated back to vertical last week after well over a year resting on its side. The unprecedented maneuver, called parbuckling, exposed a twisted mass of metal dotted with mattresses, passenger luggage and deck chairs on the ship's previously submerged starboard side.

Now that the Concordia is upright, there can be further investigation of the captain's alleged mishandling of the ship.

Defense lawyers for Schettino agreed with lawyers representing more than 200 civil parties against the captain, including Giglio Island and several passenger and environmental advocacy groups, in asking for a new examination of the ship.

How cruise ship tragedy transformed an island paradise

Prosecutors are expected to argue that Schettino's decision to take the cruise liner off course is what caused the loss of life, not secondary mistakes or malfunctions.

Schettino also argued Monday that Indonesian helmsman Jacob Rusli Bin's failure to understand his command to turn away from the rocks led to the crash.

Rusli Bin and four others were convicted in a plea deal in July for their role in the disaster. A Florence court is considering the validity of those plea bargain agreements.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
The Costa Concordia disaster
September 17, 2013 -- Updated 1409 GMT (2209 HKT)
After an ambitious salvage attempt, the wrecked cruise ship the Costa Concorda is now standing upright, engineers announce.
September 16, 2013 -- Updated 1736 GMT (0136 HKT)
The nautical blue paint spelling out "Costa Concordia" has almost all bubbled and chipped off the bow of the once luxurious cruise liner.
September 16, 2013 -- Updated 1521 GMT (2321 HKT)
The passengers weren't the only people whose lives were transformed by the Concordia disaster. So was the island/
September 16, 2013 -- Updated 1523 GMT (2323 HKT)
Nick Sloane: Has master mariner in charge of salvage met his match in the Costa Concordia?
September 17, 2013 -- Updated 1123 GMT (1923 HKT)
Browse our interactive to see how one of the largest cruise liners ever built will finally be raised from the Italian sea bed.
July 22, 2013 -- Updated 0116 GMT (0916 HKT)
Five people were convicted of multiple manslaughter and causing personal injury over the deadly wreck of the Costa Concordia.
July 8, 2012 -- Updated 1911 GMT (0311 HKT)
The Costa Concordia disaster has brought changes to cruise industry safety while focusing on how some international companies operate.
July 6, 2012 -- Updated 1654 GMT (0054 HKT)
CNN's Dan Rivers asks: how could this happen, nearly 100 years after the Titanic?
June 27, 2012 -- Updated 1745 GMT (0145 HKT)
Two of the largest cruise ship industry organizations have announced new safety policies in the event of an emergency at sea.
February 10, 2012 -- Updated 2129 GMT (0529 HKT)
Cruise lines are now required to conduct passenger safety drills before leaving port, under a rule announced by three cruise industry associations.
January 24, 2012 -- Updated 2255 GMT (0655 HKT)
The cruise ship Costa Concordia lies stricken off the shore of the island of Giglio on January 21, 2012 in Giglio Porto, Italy.
The cruise line issued a statement denying it offered discounts on future cruises to passengers affected by the tragedy.
January 20, 2012 -- Updated 2216 GMT (0616 HKT)
Days after the Costa Concordia ran aground, details of the harrowing escape from the ship are still fresh in survivors' minds.
March 7, 2013 -- Updated 2033 GMT (0433 HKT)
The island of Giglio is made famous for the tragedy on its shores, says CNN's Dan Rivers.
January 16, 2012 -- Updated 1336 GMT (2136 HKT)
The disaster that killed 32 passengers left officials and experts on maritime navigation searching for answers -- fast.
ADVERTISEMENT