Skip to main content

Greenpeace activists protest Shell plans as Sebastian Vettel wins at Spa

August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Drivers perform a warm-up lap at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit as Greenpeace militants deploy a banner reading "ARCTIC OIL? SHELL NO!" Drivers perform a warm-up lap at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit as Greenpeace militants deploy a banner reading "ARCTIC OIL? SHELL NO!"
HIDE CAPTION
Spa F1 race targeted by activists
Spa F1 race targeted by activists
Spa F1 race targeted by activists
Spa F1 race targeted by activists
<<
<
1
2
3
4
>
>>
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Sebastian Vettel's victory at F1's Belgian Grand Prix overshadowed by eco protests
  • Greenpeace activists protest against Artci drilling plans of race sponsor Shell
  • Paragliders fly a banner, while another is draped from grandstand before the start
  • Another banner is hung above the winner's podium at the end of the race

(CNN) -- Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrated a Formula One race in Belgium Sunday, but the off-track incident did not stop Sebastian Vettel's march towards a fourth successive world title.

Two paragliders from the environmental group Greenpeace flew over the circuit at Spa-Francorchamps, displaying a banner criticizing the operations of Belgian Grand Prix sponsor Shell.

Then a second group of men managed to climb the main grandstand overlooking the starting grid and hung down a banner emblazoned "Arctic oil? Shell no!"

They then hung on ropes watching the race, which was effectively decided when Vettel overtook pole-sitter Lewis Hamilton on the first lap and motored clear in his Red Bull to win by almost 17 seconds from Fernando Alonso and extend his championship lead to 46 points.

However, the protests were not over -- the Greenpeace activists managed to unveil another banner above the winner's podium, and triumphantly posted the proof on the international group's Twitter page.

Watch adrenaline-filled tour of Spa track
Lotus hopeful on Raikkonen
Shell's arctic drilling underway

It posted a series of messages Sunday asking followers to demand that Shell backs down in its plans to drill in the Arctic, which it says will increase melting of the ice sheet and destabilize the global climate.

Greenpeace also reported that the grandstand climbers had been arrested.

Read: Hamilton counts Spa 'blessing'

Shell signed a multi-year sponsorship deal with the Belgian race in 2011, and has been involved in F1 since its inception in 1950 -- working mainly with Ferrari, the most successful team in the elite motorsport.

Its website says the Arctic "holds around 30% of the world's undiscovered natural gas and 13% of its yet-to-find oil. This amounts to around 400 billion barrels of oil equivalent, 10 times the total oil and gas produced to date in the North Sea.

"Developing the Arctic could be essential to securing energy supplies for the future, but it will mean balancing economic, environmental and social challenges."

In July, Greenpeace activists scaled one of Europe's tallest buildings -- London's Shard -- to protest Shell's Arctic drilling. The multinational company's main UK offices are near the Shard.

In February Shell announced it had suspended its Alaskan offshore drilling for the rest of 2013 but planned to resume "in the future." In previous months, two of its drilling vessels were damaged in the area and had to be towed to Asia for repairs.

Read: Is Greenpeace prank on Shell 'a scam?'

Meanwhile, Vettel shrugged off the protests to celebrate his fifth victory in 11 races this season, and his second at Spa following his 2011 success.

"It was a fantastic race for us from start to finish," the German told reporters. "It helped on the first lap getting a tow off Lewis through Eau Rouge. Once I passed him we could control the race.

"So a great result, with the car better than we expected going into the race which I really enjoyed a lot.

Shell weighs risks in Arctic drilling
Arctic oil vs. Alaska's natives
The race for Arctic oil in Alaska

"Fortunately there was no rain, so no need for any critical calls to be made, and a comfortable afternoon for us."

Vettel's teammate Mark Webber finished fifth, giving Red Bull a 77-point lead in the constructors' standings.

The veteran Australian will leave F1 at the end of this season to drive for Porche in sportscar racing, and he is expected to be replaced by compatriot Daniel Ricciardo from Red Bull's feeder team Toro Rosso.

Vettel appeared to confirm as much, saying: "It would make sense for Ricciardo as he has been at Red Bull for a long time. People will argue that he might not be ready, but was I ready when I joined?"

Read: F1's 'Mr. Consistency'

Alonso moved up to second in the drivers' standings above Lotus' Kimi Raikkonen, who did not finish for the first time in 39 races -- a run stretching back to 2009 when he was still at Ferrari.

The Finn retired due to a brake problem on the 26th lap, ending his record-breaking stretch of earning points in 27 races.

Two-time world champion Alonso was pleased with his efforts after starting from ninth on the grid.

"We had to recover some places because we were not okay yesterday," he said. "We were then okay from the start, but the race was a little boring once we had second place."

Hamilton, who won from pole in Hungary in the last race before the mid-season break in July, had to settle for third place.

"We had a tough race, these guys were faster than us, but I'm happy with the result," the 2008 world champion said.

"When we started we felt we didn't have as good a package as Red Bull and Ferrari. We'll try and do what we can in Monza, but from Singapore I hope we can be strong from there."

His teammate Nico Rosberg was fourth, giving second-placed Mercedes a 17-point advantage over nearest rival Ferrari.

Hamilton's former McLaren teammate Jenson Button was sixth -- the 2009 world champion won the race last year -- and Ferrari's Felipe Massa seventh.

Lotus' Romain Grosjean took eighth and Adrian Sutil was ninth in a consolation for Force India, whose other driver Paul Di Resta had to retire after being hit by Williams' Pastor Maldonado.

Ricciardo completed the top 10, giving the 24-year-old his fourth points-scoring race this season to be 14th overall in the standings.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT