Skip to main content

F1: 2014 Grand Prix of America is off, says Bernie Ecclestone

By Christian Sylt, for CNN
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
New Jersey was originally scheduled to stage Formula One's inaugural Grand Prix of America in June 2013, and Red Bull took its RB7 car over to the state of New York one year early to test drive the streets. New Jersey was originally scheduled to stage Formula One's inaugural Grand Prix of America in June 2013, and Red Bull took its RB7 car over to the state of New York one year early to test drive the streets.
HIDE CAPTION
Red Bull in the big city
Going off road
Tunnel vision
The beast below
Lady Liberty
Free-wheeling in Weehawken
<<
<
1
2
3
4
5
6
>
>>
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place in 2014, says F1 boss
  • Bernie Ecclestone says race organizers have been unable to raise funding
  • New Jersey race had been originally scheduled for this year, but was canceled
  • Sebastian Vettel fastest in first practice sessions for Belgian Grand Prix

Editor's note: Christian Sylt is the co-author of Formula Money, an annual report examining all aspects of F1's finances with detailed data on teams, drivers, sponsors and races.

(CNN) -- Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that the inaugural Grand Prix of America in New Jersey will not take place as planned next year, saying the organizers have not raised enough money to fund it.

Raced at 19 circuits around the world, F1 generates more than $4bn in revenues annually.

The final 2014 calendar will be approved by motorsport's governing body, the FIA, in December but new races need to have financing in place by now to ensure their plans are on track.

It was recently revealed that the Grand Prix of America organizers appointed investment bank UBS in June to raise $100 million which is required for the race to go ahead.

But Ecclestone told CNN that they have run out of time.

"It's not on the cards for next year," he said, adding that the problem is "they haven't got any money."

F1's spiritual home in the U.S.
Mario Andretti's biggest fear: poverty

Read: F1 car 'sings' U.S. national anthem

However, Grand Prix of America spokesman Alex Howe insisted they expected the race would go ahead.

"We don't comment on financial matters but we are on track for 2014 and will have a statement following the announcement of the official 2014 FIA Formula One World Championship schedule," said the spokesman.

The race was planned to take place on 3.2 miles of public roads in Port Imperial, a district in the New Jersey towns of West New York and Weehawken. It snakes alongside the Hudson river and would give the race a spectacular backdrop of Manhattan's historic skyline.

It has already been postponed once, having been initially scheduled for June this year. The wheels started to come off in August 2012 when Tom Cotter, the president of the race, unexpectedly resigned.

Ecclestone put the brakes on it later that month when the organizers missed payment deadlines in their contract with the F1 Group. The Grand Prix of America is the only new F1 race for over 15 years to be dropped from its slot on the calendar.

It is also a rare example of a race which was given an F1 contract without having the required funding in place. The most well-known previous example was that of English circuit Donington, which had a 17-year contract to host the British Grand Prix from 2010. Instead, the race stayed at Silverstone after Citigroup failed to raise the £135 million ($210 million) required to fund necessary improvements to Donington.

Read: F1 revs up for thrilling end to season

Ecclestone said the situation in New Jersey "is like Donington all over again" and added that "it is such a muddle and a mess that it is not worth doing."

He said he originally signed the deal because he believed that the race's promoter -- Leo Hindery Junior, managing partner of private equity fund InterMedia Partners -- would be able to raise the required funds.

"The guy is a multibillionaire and is well-known in New York," Ecclestone said.

Grand Prix of America spokesman Howe declined to comment when asked for a specific response to Ecclestone's view that the situation in New Jersey was in disarray.

Construction on the New Jersey site is well under way, and last year three-time world champion Sebastian Vettel and former F1 driver David Coulthard drove demonstration runs on the circuit for the Red Bull team. However, a lot of the work has focused on the pit building in a new block of garages which was already planned to be built.

Race car 'sings' national anthem
The US Grand Prix at Indianapolis in 2005 was won by Michael Schumacher. But the race is remembered less for his victory, than the number of starters -- just six cars, rather than the normal 20.<br/><br/> The US Grand Prix at Indianapolis in 2005 was won by Michael Schumacher. But the race is remembered less for his victory, than the number of starters -- just six cars, rather than the normal 20.

Schumacher wins race of six
HIDE CAPTION
<<
<
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
>
>>
F1\'s strangest race? F1's strangest race?

The plans are close to Ecclestone's heart as he has been trying to hold a Grand Prix in the New York area since the 1980s. He has already provided more support to the New Jersey race organizers than their rivals usually receive.

Read: F1 perfects formula for financial success

After tearing up the original contract last year, Ecclestone signed a new 15-year agreement in May when the organizers agreed to hire Chris Pook, one of his close confidantes and former chief executive of F1's American motorsport rival IndyCar. Pook works alongside Hindery, who was the first investor in the race.

In 2011 Hindery provided the initial $10.3 million investment in race organizing company Port Imperial Racing Associates (PIRA) and obtained an additional $10.1 million loan.

In April this year the F1 Group itself provided the company with a credit facility personally guaranteed by Hindery, but it still needs $100 million to get the green light.

F1 races require a high-octane level of investment. Tracks typically cost over $250 million to build, but using public roads avoids this expense.

The downside is that there is no asset for investment to be secured on, so the budget for street races is usually supplemented with state funding. However, Hindery has confirmed that no public money will be used in the project.

The race is part of F1's strategy to break into the lucrative United States market, which is dominated by local rivals NASCAR and IndyCar.

Gaining a foothold there is understood to be an important part of revving up the stalled plans to float F1 on the Singapore stock exchange.

Read: F1 reborn in the USA

Stateside television coverage of F1 moved this year to the sports division of NBC, the oldest major broadcast network in the U.S., and the U.S. Grand Prix returned to the calendar in 2012 after a five-year hiatus.

It takes place in Austin, Texas, and a further race in California is also under consideration.

Losing the New Jersey race could cost F1 more than $375 million across the duration of its contract, as the annual fee has been estimated at $25 million with a small escalation every year.

However, the investment opportunity overview produced by UBS in June states that the Grand Prix of America contract gives the organizers "exclusivity for all F1 races across the northeast corridor" so the vacant calendar slot could be filled by another new race in the area.

Ecclestone is also known to be in discussion about a Grand Prix in Mexico City, which would also plug the gap left by New Jersey.

Meanwhile, in other F1 news Friday, world champion Sebastian Vettel set the fastest time in practice for the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa.

Vettel recorded a time of one minute 49.331 seconds, just edging Red Bull teammate Mark Webber by 0.059 seconds.

Romain Grosjean, in third for Lotus, was almost a second slower in the afternoon session, while Britain's Lewis Hamilton, who won the previous round in Hungary for Mercedes was only 12th quickest.

Vettel achieved his time despite missing the last 20 minutes of the session with a rear puncture which left the tire shredded.

Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso of Spain was quickest in the morning runs for Ferrari in wet conditions.

Saturday sees final qualifying for Sunday's race, with three-time defending champion Vettel defending a 38 point lead over Grosjean's teammate Kimi Raikkonen of Finland in the title race.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT