Skip to main content

Kimi Raikkonen looks to continue 'remarkable run' as F1 resumes in Spa

By Matthew Knight, CNN
August 20, 2013 -- Updated 1126 GMT (1926 HKT)
Kimi Raikkonen likes to do his talking on the race track. The Finn is currently second in the F1 drivers' championship.
Kimi Raikkonen likes to do his talking on the race track. The Finn is currently second in the F1 drivers' championship.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Kimi Raikkonen has been a model of consistency for Lotus this season
  • Finn has only finished outside the top 10 once in 30 races since returning to F1 in 2012
  • The 33-year-old will not replace Mark Webber at Red Bull, according to Finn's manager
  • F1 season resumes at Spa this weekend after a four-week summer layoff

(CNN) -- He may hate the attention off the track, but it's hard to avoid the media glare when you've been driving as well as Kimi Raikkonen this season.

The Finn is currently Sebastian Vettel's nearest rival in the Formula One drivers' championship, trailing Red Bull's triple world champion by 38 points thanks to a succession of star turns for his team Lotus.

With a win in Melbourne and five second-place finishes so far this year, Raikkonen will be seeking more podiums as F1 returns to action after a four-week summer break.

This weekend, the 33-year-old will be hunting down a fifth career win at the Belgian Grand Prix in Spa -- a track he told Formula1.com was his "favorite place" and "the greatest racing circuit in the world."

Since returning to the sport in 2012, Raikkonen has been a model of consistency finishing in the points a record 27 times in succession -- he overtook Michael Schumacher's mark of 24 at the British Grand Prix in June.

"He's driving better than he ever has," Ed Foster, associate editor of Motor Sport magazine, told CNN.

"That run of finishes is amazing because even if you are driving brilliantly, to have the luck as well, to have nothing break on the car. It's a testament to Lotus for building a car that is so reliable."

F1 design pushes boundaries
Motorsport great's new challenge
A country club for exotic sports cars

It's a view which was recently echoed by Raikkonen's team boss Eric Boullier.

"I would have to give Kimi 10 out of 10," Boullier told Formula1.com.

Interactive: CNN F1 circuit guide

"He's done a terrific job right from the beginning of the season and his remarkable run of 27 consecutive points finishes speaks for itself. No matter what happens he's always there, as we saw in the final few laps at Monaco."

Raikkonen scrapped his way to tenth place on the French Riviera and battled his way to ninth two weeks later in Montreal.

But two podiums in the last three races before F1's summer break have set him and Lotus up nicely for the remaining nine races of the season.

"He is playing a big part in pushing the team forwards, and of course having such a popular character in the seat has its advantages too," Boullier told Formula1.com.

Infographic: Billion-dollar deals on wheels

Boullier is optimistic that he can keep hold of his star man despite other teams warming to the task of signing the "Iceman" when his Lotus contract expires later this year.

Red Bull was considering Raikkonen as replacement for F1 retiree Mark Webber, but the Finn's manager Steve Robertson said Monday that a deal couldn't be reached.

"The negotiations with Red Bull were not successful and ended some time ago," Robertson said, according to the Finnish newspaper, Turun Sanomat. Toro Rosso's Daniel Ricciardo is now widely tipped to take his Webber' s place.

Read: Pamela Anderson fronts racing team

Raikkonen has also been linked with a return to Ferrari in recent days, according to another Finnish newspaper, Ilta-Sanomat. But the claim has been denied by Ferrari and Foster thinks a move to Italy unlikely.

The Lotus team has one thing going for it in terms of PR and the media side of things. They don't overwork Raikkonen and he's obviously very happy there
Ed Foster, Motor Sport magazine

"I just can't see him going back there after the way they parted last time," Foster said.

Raikkonen, who won the world championship with Ferrari in 2007, was released from his contract a year early in 2009 to make way for Fernando Alonso.

Of course, it may be that Raikkonen opts to stay put.

"The Lotus team has one thing going for it in terms of PR and the media side of things. They don't overwork Raikkonen and he's obviously very happy there," Foster said.

"There are all these things bubbling around about Lotus' financial situation and whether or not they can afford him.

"But one thing Raikkonen isn't really that motivated by is money. Everyone is motivated by money to a certain extent but he's not as bad as some of the other drivers."

The famously reticent Raikkonen will no doubt be relieved to find the spotlight on Lewis Hamilton in Belgium following his victory at the Hungarian Grand Prix at the end of July.

The Briton's maiden win for Mercedes has set up a potentially thrilling battle in the second half of the season.

"It's quite nicely poised. Vettel pretty much looked on the way to his fourth world championship this year but now with Hamilton's win in Hungary it's suddenly up for grabs between the two," Foster said.

Twelve months ago, Ferrari was providing the resistance, but Foster doesn't see that happening this year.

"They have lost quite a lot of ground with the front runners and I can't see them making that up. With the massive rules changes next year, unless you're definitely in the title hunt most teams are going to switch their focus to 2014 much sooner than usual," Foster said.

"It's still too early but you have to say it's between Hamilton and Vettel, I would have thought."

Hamilton currently lies fourth in the standings, 48 points behind championship leader Vettel and will be hoping for a repeat run of 2010 when he took the checkered flag for his old team McLaren.

"I wonder whether Mercedes has turned the corner?" Foster asks.

"You can't tell off the back of one race, but Hamilton was just untouchable. If they are very strong in Spa as well then you have to say that Hamilton has got every chance to catch Vettel in the championship."

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT