Skip to main content

Webber to quit Formula One

June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber will leave Red Bull and Formula One at the end of the season.
Mark Webber will leave Red Bull and Formula One at the end of the season.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Mark Webber will quit Formula One at the end of the current season
  • Red Bull driver will join Porsche's new sportscar program
  • Webber has won nine grands prix and achieved 36 podium finishes
  • Endured difficult relationship with teammate and world champion Sebastian Vettel

(CNN) -- Mark Webber will quit Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal with Porsche to race at Le Mans.

The Australian, who will turn 37 in August, made the announcement Thursday, ending speculation over his future at Red Bull.

Webber has won nine grands prix, achieved 36 podium finishes and secured 11 pole positions during his 12-year career.

But his fractious five-year relationship with teammate and triple world champion Sebastian Vettel meant that his future at Red Bull was always the subject of conjecture.

Read: Vettel apologizes

Only last March, the pair were involved in a public feud after Vettel ignored team orders and passed Webber to win the Malaysian Grand Prix.

CNN Greatest F1 Driver: Day Four
Mark Webber back in the go-kart
Lorenzo: Motorcycling is like dancing

The incident left Webber incandescent with rage and although the German offered an apology, he later said he would do the same thing again.

Webber, who is fifth in the championship title race going into Sunday's British Grand Prix at Silverstone, came close to winning the crown in 2010 before faltering in the final three races.

Webber had previously enjoyed spells at Minardi, Jaguar and Williams, before joining Red Bull.

He will now turn his attention to helping Porsche win its 17th Le Mans race -- a feat it has not achieved since 1998.

Read: Fuming Webber goes surfing to cool off

"It's an honor for me to join Porsche at its return to the top category in Le Mans and in the sports car World Endurance Championship and be part of the team," said Webber in a statement on his website.

"Porsche has written racing history as a manufacturer and stands for outstanding technology and performance at the highest level.

"I'm very much looking forward to this new challenge after my time in Formula 1.

"Porsche will undoubtedly set itself very high goals. I can hardly wait to pilot one of the fastest sports cars in the world."

Webber has already experienced the 24-hour race at Le Mans after racing there with Mercedes in 1998 and 1999.

His first attempt ended after just 19 laps, while he somehow escaped injury the following year after his car was tipped over while he drove at a speed of 200mph.

"I'm very pleased to have secured Mark Webber for our LMP1 project as one of the best and most successful Formula 1 pilots of our time," Wolfgang Hatz, Board Member for Research and Development at Porsche AG said in a statement Thursday.

"Mark is without doubt one of the world's best race drivers, he has experience at the Le Mans 24 hour race and on top of that he's been a Porsche enthusiast for many years."

The race to replace Webber is expected to include 2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen, who currently stars for Lotus, while Torro Rosso's Australian driver Dan Ricciardo could also be in the frame.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT