Skip to main content

Tomic Snr claims self-defense for Drouet clash

May 6, 2013 -- Updated 2118 GMT (0518 HKT)
Thomas Drouet wears a neck brace and protection for his broken nose following Saturday's incident in Madrid.
Thomas Drouet wears a neck brace and protection for his broken nose following Saturday's incident in Madrid.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Lawyer representing John Tomic says tennis player's father attacked Drouet in self-defense
  • Drouet of Monaco is the training partner of Bernard Tomic, Australia's top male tennis player
  • Tomic's burgeoning career has already been blighted by several off-court incidents

(CNN) -- A lawyer representing the father of Australia's top-rated tennis player Bernard Tomic says John Tomic was acting in self-defense when he headbutted his son's training partner Thomas Drouet on Saturday.

On Monday, John Tomic, who is also his 20-year-old son's coach, denied a charge of assault in a Madrid court which ruled that a judge will decide his guilt or innocence at a hearing on May 14.

The incident -- which resulted in a broken nose for the Monegasque Drouet -- took place on Saturday afternoon outside the hotel in the Spanish capital where players were staying for the Madrid Masters.

Bernard was in town to contest the tournament only to suffer a first round at the hands of Radek Stepanek of the Czech Republic.

"I don't feel guilty. I did not do anything wrong," Tomic Senior told reporters of the fight.

His lawyer Carmen Dieguez said the reason that Tomic Snr used his head, rather than his arms, to attack Drouet was because the tennis player, 29, was holding the coach's arms at the time.

On the court with 'Baby Federer'
Navratilova: Collins paves way for others
Little girl takes on tennis giants
Ivan Lendl: There are plenty of champs

In a statement, Tennis Australia said they were awaiting further details before discussing the incident.

"Obviously media reports regarding a recent incident are very concerning," the country's governing tennis body said. "We are working closely with ATP officials who are investigating the incident and are unable to comment further until the full facts are known."

The incident continues the mixed career of Bernard Tomic, ranked 53rd in the world, and who was dropped from his Davis Cup side earlier in the year for what Australia captain Pat Cash called a lack of professionalism.

The youngster, who broke into the limelight when reaching the quarterfinals of Wimbledon as an 18-year-old, is no stranger to controversy involving his father, with the duo having been involved in several incidents.

Croatian-born John, who moved with his family to Australia when Bernard was three, has been coaching his son since he was 13, even though a man who used to drive taxis for a living had no previous tennis experience.

In 2009, John was forced to publicly apologize after telling his son to walk off court in the middle of a match against fellow Australian Marinko Matosevic in Perth as he was unhappy with the officiating.

Despite the incident resulting in a one-month ban from the International Tennis Federation, John was up to old his tricks a year later -- railing at Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley so vehemently about the scheduling of one of his son's matches that security was ultimately placed around the official.

Last year, Tomic Junior was booed off court at Wimbledon, picking up a code violation after smashing his racket, as he made a first round exit before then requesting that his father should be ejected from the stands at the Miami Masters later in the year.

"I know he's my father but he's annoying me," Bernard, who was ranked as high as world no. 27 last year, stated to the match referee.

Tomic Senior has often clashed with Tennis Australia, having previously threatened to switch his son's allegiance to Croatia unless his demands are met.

Matters seemed to be improving as Bernard won his maiden ATP title in January but this latest incident appears to be yet another setback in a stop-start career for a player with a fine record at junior level.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
May 1, 2013 -- Updated 1129 GMT (1929 HKT)
She towers above him, but she can't do without him. Meet the man who has made Maria Sharapova the world's wealthiest female athlete.
April 22, 2013 -- Updated 1511 GMT (2311 HKT)
When Maria Sharapova underwent shoulder surgery five years ago, many thought her tennis career wouldn't last.
April 18, 2013 -- Updated 1258 GMT (2058 HKT)
Nine-year-old Rebecca Suarez stunned onlookers when she was pulled out of the crowd to team up with Del Potro against Nadal.
April 18, 2013 -- Updated 2115 GMT (0515 HKT)
Janko Tipsarevic is of the belief that his fellow professionals aren't doping -- or at least not on a widespread basis.
March 21, 2013 -- Updated 1429 GMT (2229 HKT)
Agnieszka and Urszula Radwanska are hoping to take their relationship to a new level by emulating tennis' most famous female sisters.
March 26, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Open Court meets Poland's world No. 4 Agniezska Radwanska, who's making waves on the women's tennis scene.
March 21, 2013 -- Updated 1402 GMT (2202 HKT)
America's 18-time grand slam champion Chris Evert talks to Open Court about her career and training the next generation of players.
March 21, 2013 -- Updated 1344 GMT (2144 HKT)
CNN's Don Riddell speaks with 11-time grand slam champion Rafael Nadal during one of his comeback tournaments in Mexico.
March 21, 2013 -- Updated 1411 GMT (2211 HKT)
Germany's veteran star Tommy Haas opens up to Pat Cash about being away from family on tour, and his many injuries.
March 11, 2013 -- Updated 1150 GMT (1950 HKT)
End of match
You'd think John Isner and Nicolas Mahut would be sick of the sight of each other, but their friendship has grown since that epic match.
March 4, 2013 -- Updated 1608 GMT (0008 HKT)
Almost a decade after Andy Roddick's sole U.S. Open victory, America is still waiting for its next male grand slam winner. What's gone wrong?
February 21, 2013 -- Updated 1621 GMT (0021 HKT)
Open Court's Pat Cash meets American No. 1 John Isner, who experts claim has the potential to win a grand slam.
February 25, 2013 -- Updated 0917 GMT (1717 HKT)
CNN's Pat Cash looks at who the next U.S. grand slam champion might be.
February 21, 2013 -- Updated 1545 GMT (2345 HKT)
CNN's Patrick Snell looks at how the famous couple is helping groom the next generation of tennis stars.
February 25, 2013 -- Updated 1009 GMT (1809 HKT)
With his sights set on the top, Ryan Harrison is the youngest player to win a professional match in 20 years.
February 21, 2013 -- Updated 1612 GMT (0012 HKT)
He's "Mac the Mouth" both on and off the court -- one of the most controversial and iconic players in tennis history, and he's still talking up a storm.
January 29, 2013 -- Updated 1131 GMT (1931 HKT)
Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have transformed their careers since discovering a diet secret that is battling for mainstream acceptance.
January 28, 2013 -- Updated 1500 GMT (2300 HKT)
Novak Djokovic knew he was going to be a tennis star from an early age when growing up in war-torn Belgrade.
January 17, 2013 -- Updated 1325 GMT (2125 HKT)
Maria Sharapova
Nine women, a bold proposal and a $1 bill. That was what it took for women's tennis to begin a 40-year journey of self-empowerment.
ADVERTISEMENT