Last remaining South Koreans leave joint industrial complex
By K.J. Kwon and Jason Hanna, CNN
May 3, 2013 -- Updated 1256 GMT (2056 HKT)
A South Korean soldier stands on a road linked to North Korea at a military checkpoint in Paju on Wednesday, April 3. After a week of threats to the United States and South Korea, North Korea blocked hundreds of South Korean workers from entering the industrial complex, which is an important symbol of cooperation between the two countries.
South Korean soldiers walk down the empty road after trucks were denied access to the Kaesong joint industrial park in North Korea.
South Korean trucks turn back after they were banned from entering Kaesong.
An officer directs a South Korean car that was denied access at a military checkpoint in Paju.
A South Korean military vehicle leads cars arriving from the Kaesong joint industrial park to Paju.
South Koreans stand in front of an information desk at the Inter-Korean Transit Office in Paju after being blocked from North Korea.
South Korean trucks turn back.
A truck drives back toward Paju.
Reporters gather in front of customs at the Inter-Korean Transit Office in Paju.
A South Korean soldier walks past a Kaesong Industrial District Management Committee bus at the Inter-Korean Transit Office.
Koreans blocked from the North
Koreans blocked from the North
South Koreans blocked from the North
South Koreans blocked from the North
South Koreans blocked from the North
South Koreans blocked from the North
South Koreans blocked from the North
South Koreans blocked from the North
South Koreans blocked from the North
South Koreans blocked from the North
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
- The move marks the first time that no South Koreans are at 9-year-old industrial complex
- North Korea suspended operations at the joint economic zone last month
- North and South Koreans had worked at the Kaesong Industrial Complex in the North
- The complex houses the operations of more than 120 South Korean companies.
(CNN) -- The last seven South Koreans who remained at a manufacturing complex jointly run by North and South Korea left the area Friday -- further crumbling one of the few symbols of inter-Korean cooperation amid high tensions between the nations.
The workers left the Kaesong Industrial Complex in North Korea and returned to the South, the South Korean Unification Ministry said. This marks the first time in the facility's nine-year history that no South Korean workers are there.
South Korean broadcaster YTN, a CNN affiliate, showed video of the South Koreans' vehicles, with luggage tied on top, re-entering the South.
The move caps a monthlong winding down of operations at the complex, which the North suspended during a frenzy of rhetoric aimed at South Korea and the United States last month. The North's rhetoric intensified after the U.N. Security Council voted in March to slap tougher sanctions on the regime and amid U.S.-South Korean military drills in the region.
The complex, which sits just north of the Demilitarized Zone that separates the two countries, houses the operations of more than 120 South Korean companies.
Waiting for workers to leave Kaesong
S. Koreans barred from N. Korean complex
North Korea pulls workers from complex
Sister baffled by N. Korea punishment
One of the seven returning South Koreans, Hong Yang-ho, chairman of Kaesong Industrial District Management Committee, said his panel is urging North Korea to reopen the complex as soon as possible "so as to minimize damages (to) relevant companies."
"We hope there will be further negotiations through various channels," he said Friday.
South Korea presses North for talks on crisis at joint industrial zone
The North began blocking South Koreans from entering the complex across the heavily fortified border in April. It then pulled out more than 50,000 North Koreans who work in the zone's factories, saying it was temporarily suspending activity there.
The move surprised some observers since Kaesong was considered a key source of hard currency for the Kim Jong Un regime.
Last week, South Korea started withdrawing its remaining citizens from the manufacturing zone jointly operated with the North. The seven South Koreans who returned Friday had remained at Kaesong to tie up loose ends.
South Korea withdraws citizens from joint factory after North snubs talks
It isn't the first time Kaesong has shut down.
In 2009, North Korea temporarily suspended Kaesong Industrial Complex several times, not permitting South Koreans to enter and exit the zone. The suspension also took place during the annual U.S.-South Korean joint military drill. But that time, South Koreans still remained at the complex.
In 2012, the production value of the complex grew to $500 million; five years earlier, it topped $100 million for the first time.
The average wage for North Korean workers in Kaesong Industrial Complex is $134 per month, according to the South Korean Unification Ministry. North Korean authorities take about 45% of their wages for various tax reasons.
Part of complete coverage on
Follow all of our coverage about the key issues unfolding inside North Korea and how it affects you.
May 7, 2013 -- Updated 2253 GMT (0653 HKT)
Chinese war veteran Duan Keke defended North Korea during the Korean War. He believes the Chinese government will prevent another war.
April 29, 2013 -- Updated 2339 GMT (0739 HKT)
CNN's Anna Coren takes a ride in South Korea's $25M fighter jet -- part of the country's arsenal against North Korea. The T-50 jet can fly at a speed of 800 km/h.
April 14, 2013 -- Updated 2142 GMT (0542 HKT)
When she was growing up in North Korea, Hyeonseo Lee thought her country was normal -- even though she saw her first public execution at 7.
April 16, 2013 -- Updated 0639 GMT (1439 HKT)
CNN's Kyung Lah examines the reign of Kim Jong Un and notes its similarities to his grandfather, Kim Il Sung.
Check out a map of the known conventional weaponry in North Korea's arsenal and their estimated strike ranges.
April 11, 2013 -- Updated 0634 GMT (1434 HKT)
Here's a look at Kim's escalating rhetoric and his country's actions since he came to power after his father's death in 2011.
April 10, 2013 -- Updated 2333 GMT (0733 HKT)
CNN's Brian Todd reports on the smuggling that accounts for 10%-40% of North Korea's revenue.
More than two dozen countries have nuclear power, but only a few have nuclear weapons or are suspected of pursuing nuclear weapons.
April 5, 2013 -- Updated 1622 GMT (0022 HKT)
Sung-Yoon Lee says North Korea's strategy is to instill fear and hysteria in South Koreans and Americans.
April 5, 2013 -- Updated 0107 GMT (0907 HKT)
Why are we so fearful and fascinated by North Korea? Here's a round-up of what you had to say on social media.
April 5, 2013 -- Updated 0103 GMT (0903 HKT)
CNN's Kyung Lah takes a look at North Korea's leader, Kim Jong Un.
Today's five most popular stories