Skip to main content

Nurburgring keeps 2013 German Grand Prix as deal struck with Ecclestone

January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
Nurburgring is renowned for its daunting technical challenges and has the nickname of the
Nurburgring is renowned for its daunting technical challenges and has the nickname of the "Green Hell".
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Red Bull team principal Christian Horner signs new multi-year deal
  • Horner has led Red Bull to three straight F1 constructors' titles
  • Ferrari to unveil new F138 car at Maranello Friday
  • Nurburgring confirmed as venue for 2013 German Grand Prix

(CNN) -- Nurburgring was confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.

The famous circuit, nicknamed the "Green Hell", alternates hosting its home grand prix with Hockenheim, but financial problems left this year's staging in doubt.

A statement on the official Nurburgring website said: "the long period of uncertainty regarding the venue for the pinnacle of motor sport in Germany is over."

Thomas Schmidt, the managing director of the circuit, thanked Ecclestone for his support.

Who is the greatest F1 driver ever?
When Silver Arrows dominated F1
When Silver Arrows dominated F1

"With his commitment to the legendary circuit, he makes a significant and valuable contribution to the Nurburgring," he said.

Ecclestone granted the hosting rights for this season rather than passing them over to Hockenheim to run the German Grand Prix for the second straight year.

"I appreciate the Nurburgring and its history very much," Ecclestone was quoted.

"Even today, this circuit makes the highest demands on drivers and teams."

Tickets for the event from July 5-7 will officially go on sale next Monday.

Lewis Hamilton won the 2011 race for McLaren, but will return in 2013 driving for the German car maker Mercedes.

Meanwhile, Red Bull principal Christian Horner has extended his deal with the team after leading them to double world title successes for the past three seasons.

The 39-year-old Englishman has been at the helm since the team was launched by Austrian billionaire owner Dietrich Mateschitz in 2005.

Read: Webber shrugs off tensions at Red Bull

Horner enjoyed success as a young driver in junior levels of motor sport before forging his career in team ownership and management.

The new "multi-year" contract for Horner was confirmed on the official F1 website Thursday.

Red Bull has dominated F1 since 2010, with Germany's Sebastian Vettel claiming a hat-trick of world titles with the team taking the constructors' titles to back him up.

Vettel and Mark Webber will again be the driver line-up for 2013, with their new RB9 car set to be unveiled at their headquarters in Milton Keynes in England Sunday.

Vettel narrowly held off Fernando Alonso to win the 2012 title and the Spanish Ferrari star will be hoping his new machinery for the coming season gives him the opportunity to go one better.

Ferrari will launch the F138 at their test track in Maranello, Italy Friday.

It derives its name from a combination of the current years and the number of cylinders in its engine, the team said in advance.

It will be the 59th car raced by Ferrari in F1 and Alonso will first test it at Barcelona on February 19.

Before that, Felipe Massa and test driver Pedro de la Rosa will put it through its paces at Jerez.

McLaren unveiled its new car, the Mercedes-powered MP4-2 Thursday, hoping they will start 2013 as they finished 2012 with victories in the United States and Brazil.

"It is exactly the same color scheme and I think it looks similar to last year, but it is completely different to last year under the skin," Jenson Button told AFP.

"And that's good for all of us," added the Briton who will be partnered by Mexico's Sergio Perez for the new season after the departure of Hamilton.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT